- are a voice for small and vulnerable states
- champion young people
- promote justice and human rights
- address threats like climate change, debt, and inequality
- help grow economies and boost trade
- support decision-makers to make good laws and deliver policies
- help strengthen governance and build inclusive public institutions
- provide technical help and training
- send experts and observers to countries to give impartial advice, and help solve national problems
- provide systems, software and research for managing resources.
The Commonwealth Secretariat has created a ‘Commonwealth and SDGs’ hub on the Commonwealth Innovation Platform, which provides a wealth of data, analysis, and resources that track the progress on SDGs in Commonwealth countries. For example, the Commonwealth SDG Tracker developed by the Secretariat provides a snapshot of the progress Commonwealth countries are making collectively and individually on each of the 17 SDGs, on the basis of metrics and indicators ratified by the UN Sustainable Development Network.
The SDG Voluntary National Reviews submitted by all Commonwealth countries at the UN so far are also available on this hub, as are the latest National Human Development Reports published by UNDP Human Development Report Office for all Commonwealth countries. To enable Commonwealth countries and others to plan and prepare for the future with the help of insights that can be gleaned by all the available official SDG data collated by UNDESA, the Secretariat has also developed an SDG Data Explorer Tool that is available on the hub to all.